About Us

We don’t just Generate and Distribute Electrical Power… We Generate Association and Distribute Assurance.

CESC is India’s first fully integrated electrical utility company and we’ve been on an epic ride ever since 1899 in generating and distributing power in Kolkata and Howrah.

We have private participation in generation, transmission and distribution of electrical power. We are the sole distributor of electricity within an area of 567sq km of Kolkata & Howrah and serve 2.9 million consumers which include domestic, industrial and commercial users. We own & operate three thermal power plants generating 1125 MW of power. These are Budge Budge Generating Station (750 MW), Southern Generating Station (135 MW), & Titagarh Generating Station (240 MW) . From our three generating stations, we accomplish 88% of our customer’s electricity requirement and remaining 12% is achieved by purchase of electricity from third parties. More than 50% of coal is sourced from captive mines for generation of electricity in our generating stations.

We own & operate the Transmission & Distribution System through which we supply electricity to consumers. This system comprises of 474 km circuit of transmission lines linking the company’s generating & receiving stations with 105 distribution stations, 8,211 circuit km of HT lines further linking distribution stations with LT substations, large industrial consumers and 12,269 circuit km of LT lines connecting the LT substations to LT consumers.

In diurnal course, we have verged upon renewable sources. We have brought forth three projects in three different areas of renewable sources. These are Gujarat Solar, which is a solar plant in Gujarat’s Kutch generating 9MW solar energy, Hydro Power Venture (Papu Hydropower Projects Limited & Pachi Hydropower Projects) in Arunachal Pradesh, generating 146 MW energy and Wind Power Operation, a 24 MW project at Dangi in Rajasthan.

We also installed two thermal power plants to meet the requirement of our electricity. These are Chandrapur Thermal Plant which is 600 MW project at Chandrapur, Maharastra and Haldia Thermal Plant which is 600 MW project at Haldia, West Bengal.

With our continuous effort to accomplish the requirement of our consumers and make them easily avail all our services from their premises, we have employed value added online services. By online services, work can be done from consumer’s premises and they don’t have to visit offices for any work. All our services can now be accessed online.

Our zeal lies to stay true and deliver exceptional service to our consumers who are with us on this relentless journey with a hope that they will continue to be part of our journey.